ABOVE: U.S. Federal Judge Clarease Rankin Yates administers the oath of office to Jeffrey L. Boney
This past Monday, November 18th, Missouri City Council Member, Jeffrey L. Boney, was sworn in for a second term as City Councilmember in Missouri City, Texas, representing District B, after overwhelmingly winning his contested election on November 5, 2019.
In front of his family, colleagues and a packed house in the Missouri City Council chambers, U.S. Federal Judge Clarease Rankin Yates administered the oath of office to Dr. Boney.
Councilmember Boney has been a resident of Missouri City since 2000. He and his wife, Sharwin, have been married for over 22 years, and have raised their three children in the Quail Green subdivision, while running a successful business headquartered in Missouri City.
During his first term, Dr. Boney has achieved quite a bit:
- Advocated for and voted to approve the first-ever Economic Development Plan in Missouri City’s history. He was the only member of Missouri City Council to make the redevelopment of Texas Parkway and Cartwright their #1 priority when asked to vote on the approved Economic Development Plan.
- Voted in support of allocating $2.5 million dollars of improvements to enhance and beautify the Texas Parkway and Cartwright corridor, as well as other parts of the city.
- Voted to authorize Missouri City staff to offer key incentives to local business and property owners, to improve and enhance their properties in District B, specifically in areas with aging infrastructure and redevelopment needs.
- Actively brought in local, national and international developers to meet with Missouri City staff to discuss development opportunities all across District B, especially Texas Parkway and Cartwright corridor.
- As Chair of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Committee, he worked diligently with METRO representatives to ensure Missouri City residents FINALLY received some return on our decades long participation in METRO, by launching a Community Connector service and a fixed route that runs 7 days a week, to ensure senior citizens, the youth and those who are in need of reliable transportation, have an opportunity to enhance their quality of life
- For over 7 years, he has served on the Community Development Advisory Committee, where he has been a part of soliciting and allocating millions of federal dollars for housing rehabilitation, student scholarships, park improvements, financial literacy, feeding the elderly, code enforcement and supporting local non-profits.
- Launched the Texas Parkway/Cartwright (TPC) Coalition to give residents in the area an opportunity to have a collective voice on matters concerning the area.
- Advocated for bill and testified at the State Capitol in Austin, in order to deal with the ever-increasing Group Home challenges in District B and across Missouri City.
- Helped spearhead the newly-formed “Freedom Tree Park Committee” to develop a plan to expand the educational and historical significance of the historic Freedom Tree.
- Ensured the completion of the Ashmont Drive major street repair project in the Meadowcreek subdivision in District B.
- Worked in concert with Missouri City staff and private partners to improve various parks in the district, such as Community Park, Independence Park and Roane Park.
- Voted to move forward with the voter-approved Fire Station #6 that will provide faster response times to District B citizens near the Fort Bend Tollway and Highway 6 area, such as Vicksburg, Olympia Estates, Creekmont, Parks Edge, Dry Creek Village, Lake Olympia and many more subdivisions in the area.
- Voted to move forward with Veterans Memorial project at the City Hall complex to honor our veterans, both past and present.
- Received Certificate of Achievement Award from the Texas Municipal League.
- Helped bring the “Missouri City Kwanzaa Celebration” to Missouri City.
Dr. Boney has been an active member of the Missouri City community for nearly 20 years. He is a former banker, business development consultant and longtime community leader, with a host of awards and recognitions for his civic engagement and community service involvement. Dr. Boney has a Bachelor’s of Business Administration from Texas Southern University and an Honorary Doctorate in Organizational Leadership from Juliana King University. He has served as an Adjunct Professor in the school of Business Administration at Houston Community College, and in addition to his many endeavors, he is a nationally award-winning journalist for the historic Houston Forward Times newspaper. Dr. Boney also serves as a guest host of his own radio show, and is a frequent contributor on CNN Headline News, having been regularly featured on the “Nancy Grace Show” and “Crime & Justice with Ashleigh Banfield” just to name a few of his many of his other endeavors. Boney is a member of Ever Ready Lodge #506 and is also a proud member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Please join us in congratulating Councilman Jeffrey L. Boney on his re-election and we wish him the best in his continued role in helping to continue lead Missouri City into the future.