The negative emotions that come with low self-esteem weaken the immune system and increase the levels of inflammation. These factors have been associated with heart disease.
A low self-esteem increases stress and leads to unhealthy behaviors such as smoking and alcohol abuse. Not surprisingly, this unhealthy combination of low self-esteem and stress also affects social behavior. In addition, people with low self-esteem have no incentive to care for themselves. Instead of exercising and trying to improve their health and increase their self esteem levels they tend to remain inactive and passive.
In the last decade several studies were made about the relationship between good health and self-esteem. A recent research was conducted by the University College of London.
The sample was comprised of 200 adults up to 59 years old. The results clearly showed that those who experienced more joy and optimism on a daily basis had a positive picture about their selves (self-esteem), and an overall better biological function.
They had the lowest level of cortisol, a hormone which is related to stress and hypertension, Type II diabetes. They had better heart rate and blood pressure and were at very low risk for a cardiac infarction.
The results of the survey are also supported by the experience of specialists who stated that people, who are spiritually and mentally active with high self-esteem, are more close to reality and happiness.
So it is very important to care for your self-esteem. If you feel that:
- You have NO self confidence
- You find it hard to trust your instinct
- Your internal voice constantly reminds you of how incapable you are
- You do not care about yourself
Self-esteem is a picture of how you feel about yourself, what you think you deserve, how you rate yourself and whether you approve and accept your character and your own existence. A healthy self-esteem is characterized by the fact that you like yourself, believe that you deserve love and happiness and that you have confidence that you can do and accomplish things in your life.
Advantages of a healthy self esteem
- The laughter and good sense of humor makes a stronger immune system
- For patients with heart disease, positive emotional situations reduce the number of visits to the hospital.
- Being optimistic and having a positive expectation for the future and the ability to quickly recover after bad events, reduces the risk of heart attacks by 50% and has been associated with better recovery after heart surgery.
- The positive emotional situations eliminate the negative effects of stress in the body; provide better sleep, allowing versatility in a more effective and creative thinking
The healthy self-esteem is necessary for you to enjoy positive emotional situations such as joy, pleasure, relaxation and gratitude. These positive feelings offer protection from stress and other difficulties of life while contributing to mental and physical health.
There would be no exaggeration to say that happiness and joy protect against many evils and offer longevity. Also a healthy self-esteem is important for the generation of positive psychological situations.